Sunday, June 28, 2009

An Adventurous Start!

Vignesh and I were stranded. My cell phone was with my husband. I dint have sufficient cash in hand. Although, I did have my card with me, the ATM was no where in sight. Above all, I did not know a word of the local language. But, it does not matter much as most of the people there could speak English or my mother tongue, Tamil. But then I was scared because it was a new place to me.

I watched helplessly as the train moved away before my husband could get down. He had helped us get down at the Banglore contonment station and gone inside the train to get the remaining baggage. Since the train windows were tinted, I could not even see my husband when the train started. I was shocked and clueless.

Even as I was trying to reclaim myself, I was a little relieved to find the suction equipment was lying with me. It was a small railway station and the only telephone booth there was closed. I was carrying Vignesh and had three heavy heavy bags with me. So, I just stood rooted to the place.

Thankfully, a person who helped with my luggage at the Madras railway station happened to pass by. He asked me if I needed help with my luggage again. I told him what had happened. He offered his mobile phone and I called up my husband to make alternate arrangements. The stranger also carried my luggages and found a place for me to wait and then left. Another reason to believe that the world still has a lot of good things in store for us.

Although, my friend came over to pick me up from the railway station immediately, every second of the wait was overwhelming. The tracheal secretions were increasing by the second. I was looking around to see if I could ask anyone to help me with the suctioning. I did not know whom to ask, what to ask, if they could speak the same language as me and even if they did, will they be ready to help me.

As soon as my friend came in, we were able to reach home in about ten minutes. I was able to breathe a sigh of relief only after I reached their home, set up the suction machine and cleared the secretions. My husband joined us after some time.

It was later in the day when I was pondering over the events that happened earlier in the day. I asked myself, "Why did I feel so helpless in the morning?". Although, there were a number of contributing reasons, I guess the most troubling part was tracheostomy.

The day my son gets rid of his tracheostomy would be the day of our freedom and true joy and celebration. And, I'm just hoping that the day is not too far off. Please wish us luck and pray for us as the big day is just around the corner. Will keep you all posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment